Not sure how to start writing your rap or poem? Check out the prompts below to help you get started.
Finish the following sentences. Use as much detail as you can and speak from personal experience. There are no wrong answers:
- When people talk about dropping out of school, they say…
- What they don’t know about dropping out is…
- When (Choose one: I dropped out/ I think about dropping out/ my friend dropped out), I thought…
- If I could talk to (Fill in this blank with someone who can enact change), I would ask…
- Because I worry about…
- I should be a part of this conversation because…
Read back your completed sentences in order. Is it starting to sound like a poem? Remember, a poem doesn’t have to rhyme, but it should tell a story in a way that is interesting to you and communicates an idea to your audience.
Try and answer one or more of the following questions in complete sentences:
- Have you ever considered dropping out? Why or why not?
- Have you dropped out? What were your reasons? What has your experience been like?
- Who do you look up to? How do they encourage you to graduate or drop out?
- What are the obstacles you face on the path to graduation?
- What motivates you to graduate?
- What resources are most helpful to you in school, at home, and in your community?
- What resources do you need (but don’t have) in school, at home, or in your community?
- What has been your hardest time in school? What made you want to drop out or keep going?
- If you had the power to change one thing in the world that would make it easier or possible for more young people to graduate from high school, what would it be and why?
- Do you know anyone that has dropped out of school? How has this affected your education or perception of graduation?
- What do you see as the purpose of graduating high school?
- What is more important to you: a job or a diploma? Why?
- Is school a non-violent place? If not, how do you define the violence you encounter?
- How is or isn’t school set up for your success?
- What will a diploma allow you to do in your life?
- How will you feel when you’re holding your diploma?